What to do when someone diesUpon death (whether at home or in a nursing home) the first call will be to the family doctor who will certify death. Once the doctor has attended you can then ring us on our 24 hour call line which is available 365 days a year.
We will then attend to remove your loved one back to our chapel of rest. If death occurs in hospital they will remain there until all the required paper work has been completed by the doctor.
After which the deceased will then be taken to our private chapel of rest. When you have recovered from your initial shock you will have to decide what the funeral arrangements are to be.
Is the funeral going to be a cremation?
- Is the service and cremation to take place at the crematorium or will there be a church service first.
- It is possible to have a private service in our chapel prior to going to the crematorium.
- The services at the crematorium take place every 40 minutes and the service time should be 20 minutes allowing time for you to be seated in the chapel and leaving the chapel where you can meet people after the service. It is possible to book a double time slot but an extra charge will be made by the council.
Is the funeral going to be a burial?
- Which cemetery will it take place in and where would the funeral service take place, in the church or around the grave.
Is it going to be a Woodland burial?
- The options available in the Skipton area are Tarn Moor Memorial Woodland or Brocklands Woodland burial ground at Rathmell, near Settle.
What NextOnce you have made these initial choices it is best to get in touch with us and we will guide you through the arrangements for the funeral and organise everything on your behalf. These funeral arrangements can take place either in your home or in our offices at a time suitable to you.
The only thing left for you to do is register the death of your loved one at the registrars. This has to be done by a family member and not the Funeral Director. This can be done before or after arranging the funeral with us. You will need the Medical Certificate of cause of death to take with you to the registrars and this is obtained from the deceased GP who saw them last.
For further information call Skipton Funeral Directors, Brook Smith & Son on 01756 792738
We are available 24/7Here on our website we have tried to outline the basic services we offer to all our customers. We will however be happy to meet you and discuss your individual requirements as we appreciate every funeral will be different.
Call us on 01756 792738
Brook Smith Funeral Directors
Click here for map and directions